Monday 30 March 2020

Off the Painting Table (March 2020)


I have been struggling to decide on my next project, but the cancellation of Salute and other shows due to CoVID19 prompted me to come up with a decision and buy some figures. I’ve decided to focus on the American War of Independence in 28mm. Next I looked up various OB’s but the brigade structure appears to be very fluid, so I planned to focus on one battle and Monmouth looked good. When the Perry boxes arrived, I flicked through the British painting guide and the name of the 55th Regiment of Foot stood out i.e. The Westmoreland Regiment. My wife hails from Cumbria, a county that is an amalgam of the old counties of Westmoreland and Cumberland. I immediately abandoned the notion of historical OB’s, and will instead use British regiments with a personal connection. It is almost certain that the wife’s ancestors would have served in the local regiments at the time of the American rebellion! So, below is my first unit, the 55th Westmoreland Regiment of Foot.


I’ve not yet decided on a set of rules to use, but I thought a 16 figure unit looked about right. I did consider using a larger number of figures, but on a 6’x4’ table this would have severely impacted on the number of units that could be fielded. I finally have a project to work on. I still need to do much reading and research concerning organisation etc. For example do loyalist units (e.g. De Lancey’s battalions) carry flags? If so, what did they look like? Anyway, next up is the 34th (Cumberland) Regiment of Foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment