Wednesday 4 September 2019

Review of the wargaming year 2018-19


The fifth year of my blog has now been completed and the number of hits still seems to be rising but only slowly (up 9% on the previous year). The audience appears to be consistent, with USA, Russia and UK dominating, but a good number of European readers spread across the continent. Most interest concerns new rule sets (e.g. Saga v2, Impetus v2), but there are more views on posts related to my painting progress than in previous years. Boardgaming also continues to be highly viewed (see my next post on the Boardgame Year). I still would like to see more comments but overall I’m happy with how the blog has gone. The main purpose is to keep a sort of diary of my activities for my own record, and I’m happy that others may find this interesting.

The games I have played this year are listed below:

 
Period
Rules
Type
Scale
1
Ancient
Impetus; EIR vs Germans
OpposedL
28mm
1
Napoleonic
Grande Armee
Solo
6mm
1
Ancient
TTS: Lysimachid v Thrace
OpposedL
15mm
1
Medieval
Saga: Teutonic v Pagan
OpposedL
28mm
1
Ancient
S&S; Persian v Indian
OpposedL
15mm
2
Dark Ages
Saga: Viking v Anglo-Danes
Saga: Normans v Scots
OpposedW
OpposedW
28mm
1
Ancient
S&S: Succesor v Greek
OpposedD
15mm
1
Ancient
Impetus2; Punic Wars
OpposedL
15mm
2
WW2
Chain of Command
Solo
20mm
2
Napoleonic
Sharp Practice
Solo
28mm
1
Pirates
Blood and Plunder
Solo
28mm
1
Modern
Cold War Commander
Solo
6mm
1
AWI
Washington’s Army
OpposedD
15mm
1
Ancient
Impetus; Han Chinese
OpposedL
15mm

 

I have played a similar number of games compared to last year but more of these have been opposed games rather than solo efforts, but I continue to lose more than I win!

The wargame highlights of the year must be the new editions of Impetus and Saga, both of which I think are improvements on their earlier versions. I enjoyed trying the “To The Strongest” rules and think they give a good game. I have also started to revisit other rules that I feel have been neglected, such as “Blood & Plunder”, and I hope to get my pirates on the table soon.
In summary 2018-19 has been a very quiet year. I continue to say that I must play more regularly, but life just seems to get in the way! I don’t have any specific plans in mind for next year projects, but the upcoming Colours show in Newbury may help.

No comments:

Post a Comment