Monday 2 September 2019

AAR: Han Chinese (Impetus v2) 1Sept19


This was the first outing for my 15mm Han Chinese armies, and only the second use of the Impetus 2nd edition rules. I worked out two 400 point armies representing the Eastern and Western Han armies (very similar to each other), and I randomly got the Western Han. Both armies had 3 commands, and all the commanders were rated as ‘Reliable’. The terrain selection procedure resulted in another open field of battle, with a small difficult hill on one flank and a field of crops on the other flank. I personally think the terrain selection part of these rules are very weak and too often produce featureless battlefields.
My Western Han deployed on the right
(Notice my deployment error!)


Ian deployed his army in a conventional manner with a central infantry command flanked on each side by cavalry commands. I was going to have a similar deployment, but after placing my central infantry command, I changed my mind and decided to place both my cavalry commands both on my right flank. I hoped to overwhelm Ian’s cavalry and press in on his centre. I was to learn an important lesson: Never (!), never (!!) change your battle plan on a whim and halfway through your deployment (!!!). I soon realised that I did not have the space to manoeuvre both cavalry commands between my infantry force and the difficult hill on that flank. Attempting to overcome this bottleneck slowed my advance, disorganised the units and lead to congestion. In addition my central command needed to be nearer the crop field on the other flank, which meant it was dangerously exposed.
My central infantry command under pressure


Disaster rapidly came! My unit of heavy chariots failed to unplug the pinch-point, they were then destroyed by a counterpunch from Ian’s elite cavalry, who went on to knock out further units in their pursuit. In just a couple of turns my army was in disarray and taking heavy losses. Meanwhile on the other flank, Ian’s unopposed cavalry command was wreaking havoc on my exposed infantry. Thankfully I was swiftly put out of my misery, as first one command routed and then the army morale collapsed soon after.
My losses rapidly mount!


This heavy defeat was solely down to my stupid deployment and change of battleplan! The Impetus v2 rules work well but do take time getting used to. I like the changes and clarifications to the charge reactions: the options to evade/counter-charge/defensive fire etc. are much clearer. I also like the reactive fire options, and these were one of the changes it was most difficult to remember to enact. The only criticisms I have concern the terrain selection mechanism, and possibly, the victory conditions. It feels that the loss of a single command rapidly progresses to the loss of the whole army, whereas I would prefer a more gradual, nuanced approach.
Overall, an instructive game for me and I am keen to play more Impetus v2 games. The Han Chinese armies are interesting to use. I noted that bolt-throwers are useful against ‘large’ formations, and the crossbow armed cavalry are more effective than I originally thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment