Thursday 2 August 2018

Off the Painting Table (Aug 2018)


I have completed painting another batch of 28mm Gladiators from Black Tree Design which I picked up at the Attack show. I did not really need these figures but getting 12 for only £8, it is hard to resist. Unlike the larger 24 figure pack, these are slotta-based which do not fit well on the MDF hex bases I use. Therefore I abandoned the plastic bases and improvised a slotta system using glued matchsticks and Tetrion filler. It worked well and the models were firmly held.


The sculpts are clean and detailed which makes painting easy. The only challenge is the metal work and trying to introduce a range of shades to prevent a too homogenous look. I must resist buying more Gladiators but there are still a few types I’m short of, so may be......?

2 comments:

  1. These look good! Nice bargain and a good idea on incorporating the slotta base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I've never been a fan of slotta bases and tended to avoid buying such figures, until I decided to use matchsticks to create a more flexible mounting system. Now I'm happy to buy slotta models. One of my best purchases was a large bag of matchsticks in a craft shop, they have proved useful in a wide range of wargame purposes e.g. snake-rail fencing in ACW games.

    ReplyDelete