Tuesday 2 January 2018

Review of the painting year, 2017


The year of 2017 has come to an end and I can look back on what I have managed to paint. I am a ‘sad’ gamer who logs all the items painted, generally in chronological order, so here is my 2017 list:

Number
Scale
Period
Manufacturer
Notes:
100
20mm
WW2 Japanese
Lancashire
 
3
20mm
WW2 Pacific AFVs
Airfix
Chi-Ha, Buffalo, Higgins
60
20mm
WW2 Pacific USMC
Lancashire/Brittania
 
16
15mm
SciFi
GZG Figures
 
90
10mm
C19: Prus,French,Aust
Pendraken
 
75
10mm
WW2 Italians
Pendraken
 
24
28mm
Sudan British Colonials
Perry
 
2
28mm
Salute freebies
 
 
92
15mm
WW2 French Infantry
Peter Pig
 
8
15mm
WW2 French Tanks
Peter Pig
 
85
15mm
WW2 German Infantry
Peter Pig
 
10
15mm
WW2 German Tanks
Peter Pig
 
120+
10mm
WW2 Desert Troops
Pendraken
 
32
28mm
Naval (Napoleonic)
Newline Design
 
24
28mm
Gladiators
Black Tree Studio
 
74
n/a
Battlelore Undead
Fantasy Flight
 
50
15mm
WW1 French
Lancashire Games
 

 

The year started with my WW2 Pacific Bolt Action forces. They have seen some action on the table, but not as much as I would have liked. My 10mm late 19th century armies were boosted and I consider them now to be complete. I next returned to WW2 by selling my 6mm 1940 armies and replacing them with 15mm versions, at this scale I can actually see the detail and recognise different tank variants! I intend using these with BKC rules (I still use the older 2nd edition, rather than the problematic new 3rd edition). I really like the quirky early war period, particularly the French, and I think they provide good opposition (tactically) for the blitzkrieg Germans. For the same rules, I boosted my WW2 desert forces by adding more infantry figures, plus some Italians.

I have not painted many 28mm figures this year. The naval figures provided another force to use in potential pirate themed games, whilst the gladiators were too good a bargain not to buy!

A major project was the completion of my Battlelore armies with the painting of the purple, undead force. I really enjoyed doing this because it allowed me to use different wash techniques, plus the figures are nicely sculpted. Additionally this painting project encouraged me to get the game on the table again.

Finally I have just started my 1914 French army, and there will be many more to come next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment