Friday 25 September 2015

Off the Painting Table (Sept 2015)


September saw the welcome return of Colours in Newbury after failing to take place last year. This is my local show and I went to purchase a few odds and ends. One of my aims this year is to play some more Sharp Practice games and to include cavalry. Therefore I bought boxes of Perry French Napoleonic Dragoons and British Hussars.

001.JPG

Returning home I quickly assembled and primed both sets of figures, before painting the horses for both units (a job I always dislike). I then had to decide which unit to paint first, and I chose the French Dragoons.

002.JPG

Recently I seem to have painted mainly irregular forces, so it was a pleasure to paint up a nicely uniformed, regular unit. I chose to use red facings and did not specify a particular unit designation because I cannot paint numerals (or lettering) to a satisfactory standard. My handwriting is also poor, so maybe the two are linked?

003.JPG

Anyway, I am happy with the results; 14 mounted Dragoons and 8 dismounted. These should see plenty of action like their historic counterparts, who were the work-horses of the Peninsular War. Next up will be the British Hussars, wearing shakos rather than the more familiar busby.

No comments:

Post a Comment