Saturday 26 June 2021

Boardgame session; June 2021

Finally I have bought a new boardgame: ‘It’s a Wonderful World’. I had wanted this game for some time now, so I finally got around to buying a copy. It has dominated my gaming for the last few weeks. I am especially pleased that Elaine also enjoys the game, and has won more games than me!

It's a Wonderful World Cover Artwork

The game is essentially an ‘engine builder’ played over 4 turns, with each turn divided into 3 segments; firstly a card drafting segment, then card allocation and finally resource production. The rules are straight forward and easy to understand. The complexity comes from the vast array of different card types. The ‘unique twist’ in the game is the sequential order in the production segment. We have played using the variable starting empire cards (side A) and the generic empires (side B), and enjoy both. The generic version is possibly more difficult because you have no signposts to direct your choice of cards. The game works well as a 2-playerexperience, and I’m looking forward to playing with a higher player count (with maybe more ‘hate drafting’ occurring).

As a quick, pick up and play style of game I think this packs a strong punch that plays out in 45 minutes or less.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment