Saturday 30 May 2020

AAR Fantasy Naval (Man O'War); 30May2020


During the last couple of months of lockdown I have not done any solo gaming, but I am now beginning to feel the need. I decided to get some of those armies out of their boxes that have not seen the light of day for many years. I started with my Man O’War fleets.
Man O' War Cover Artwork

I first encountered GW’s Man O’War game when it first came out in the early 1990’s, when I gamed in the Scimitar group in Coventry. Another club member had contacts with GW and got its products early at a discount rate. For a couple of years Man O’War proved a very popular game within the club, providing many fun entertaining games, but I did not feel the need to purchase my own copy of the game. About 10 years later, when I had moved away, I spotted a copy of Man O’War and Plague Fleet on a B&B stall. I bought them both for a very reasonable price and immediately painted up the base set of ships. The models looked great and so, for the next couple of years I searched all B&B stalls for more ships (I even dabbled on ebay, although the prices were high!). I also got the Sea of Blood expansion. I soon found I had sizable fleets (1,500 points+) for nearly all combatants (plus a second Empire force that I painted as Pirate), plus all the flyers and sea monsters. I was only missing Skaven, Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Vikings. The lack of Skaven did bother me, so when Uncharted Seas came out I re-modelled some vessels as Skaven proxies (very pleased with them), plus I was able to mass an Undead fleet (which was based on a GW article in a magazine). I must have spent a couple of hundred pounds, but the models looked super, the game was great, and I reckon at today’s prices, the collection could be sold for a couple of thousand! Over the years since I have played many Man O’War games, but the fragility of the models tends to make me cautious about using them down the club.

The first solo game I set up was Empire versus Bretonnians , a human galley against sail clash with no magic involved. The Empire focussed on disabling the sail powered Bretonnians and the dice gods were with them. Once the nimble Bretonnians were slowed down, their vessels became easy targets for ramming and boarding.




Next I played using the two most un-seaworthy fleets i.e. Orcs versus Skaven. Many Man O’War players tend to regard the rules to be ‘broken’ when using these forces. The Orc Big-chukka vessels are very ineffectual, as is the Orc magic. I think both these problems can be easily fixed with house rules, and also most Orc players fail to use patience in their tactics. The Orc Hulks are the most powerful vessels but are slow; it is vital to hold the smaller vessels in the fleet back until the Hulks get close, then unleash them! The Skaven are just potty! An enemy just has to sit back a watch the Skaven self-destruct; Warp Raiders blow up, Skaven Seers explode and the Doombringer bell erupts destroying friend and foe alike! I have never seen the Skaven win, but they lose spectacularly and because of this, I love using them!




I have really enjoyed reviving my interest in Man O’War and plan to play more games with different fleets.

No comments:

Post a Comment