Monday 3 September 2018

Review of the wargaming year 2017-18


The fourth year of my blog has now been completed and the number of hits seems to have reached a plateau, only 90% compared to the previous 12 month period. The USA remains the leading source of hits, followed by Russia (but a lower amount than last year), then the UK, France, Ireland, and Australia. There is a good worldwide distribution from many far flung places, but I’m still seeing bursts from Russia (which I assume are spurious ‘fishing’ hits) and this confuses analysis of the blog. The most popular post was my review of the rule set ‘For King & Parliament’, with that for ’10 Essential Boardgames’ in second place. I still would like to see more comments but overall I’m happy with how the blog has gone. My main purpose is to keep a diary of my activities for my own record, and I’m happy that others may find this interesting.

The games I have played this year are listed below:

 
Period
Rules
Type
Scale
2
Gladiator
Jugula
Opposed
28mm
1
Old West
Dead Man’s Hand
Opposed
28mm
1
WW1
Square Bashing; French v German
Opposed L
15mm
1
 
2
Ancients NKvHittite
Ancients TurkvHung
Sword & Spear
OpposedL
 
Solo
15mm
1
1
ACW Riverine
Hammerin’ Iron
Solo
OpposedL
3mm
1
Medieval
Lion Rampant Teutonic v Pagan
Solo
28mm
1
Samurai
Impetus
Solo
28mm
2
Napoleonic
LaSalle
Solo
28mm
2
1
ECW
For King & Parliament
Solo
OpposedL
15mm
1
ACW
Fire & Fury
Solo
15mm
17

 

I have played many fewer games compared to last year (only 17 compared to 47) and have only played 7 opposed games, most of which I have lost. Most of my gaming continues to be solo which is disappointing and is due to an overly packed social diary preventing me from attending club meetings.

It is difficult to pick out wargame highlights for the year, but I think the release of ‘For King & Parliament’ is clearly one. I missed out on the ancient version (To The Strongest) but had heard good things about the game, so FK&P gave me the opportunity to try the system, and it did prove worth the time and effort. I’m not sure it will become my favourite ECW rule set but it will make it to the table in future. I also liked the release of Saga v2 but have yet to play any games. I plan to get the Crusader listings to use with my Teutonic armies. In relation to actual tabletop games I think the most enjoyable experience was Hammerin’ Iron; I really want to play more games using the system.

In summary 2017-18 has been a very quiet and disappointing year. I must play more regularly next year. I don’t have any specific plans in mind, which is unusual for me, but maybe I will get some inspiration following the upcoming Colours show in Newbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment