Monday 12 December 2016

Review of a painting year 2016


The year of 2016 is coming to an end and I can look back on what I have managed to paint. I am a ‘sad’ gamer who logs all the items painted, generally in chronological order, so here is my 2016 list:

Number
Scale
Period
Manufacturer
Notes:
6
28mm
Fantasy Mtd Sergeants
FireForge
 
20
28mm
Fantasy Goblins
Mantic
 
100
various
Battlelore figures
 
 
9
15mm
Modern AK47 Africa
Peter Pig
2nd hand from Ian
268
10mm
French FPW figures
Pendraken
 
256
10mm
Prussian FPW figures
Pendraken
 
270
10mm
1859/66 Austrians
Pendraken
 
9
28mm
Various Napoleonic
Victorix
Conversions
1
28mm
Steampunk
 
Salute 2016 figure
2
28mm
SciFi figures
Maelstrom’s Edge
Free from Salute 2016
7
28mm
Portuguese Cacadores
Warlord Games
 
5
28mm
Wild West buildings
4Ground
 
30
28mm
AWI/FIW figures
Warlord Games
 
12
28mm
GIW mtd skirmishers
Perry
 
17
28mm
ECW figures
Warlord Games
 
3
20mm
WW2 Pacific AFVs
Airfix
 
3
1/144th
WW2 aircraft
Revell/Zedva
 
1
20mm
WW2 Soviet BA-64
SHQ
 

 

The start of the year was clearly focussed on building up my Kings of War fantasy figures, and like all my previous dips into this genre, my interest was only transient. The figures have largely lain in their boxes once finished. The late winter period is frequently characterised by a lack of focus, the lead mountain is greatly reduced, and I tend to paint odds and ends; hence the painting of my Battlelore plastics. I don’t play Battlelore often but always thought the figures would look better if painted – they do! Of course, this has not resulted in more games of Battlelore, but if I do decide to play, then my set up will look the business!

Following the Salute show in April I was inspired by the Bloody Big Battles rules to re-invest in 10mm 19th century European armies. I really like the contrast in the nationalities; the blue French, the blue/black Prussians and the white Austrians. After a few games I have come to realise that I still need more figures/stands, so this will form a secondary project for 2017.

Next my interest was sparked by the release of the excellent Sharp Practice 2 rules, and I painted additional 28mm figures for my Napoleonic and AWI/FIW forces. Small scale skirmish style games have dominated the year; my ECW forces were expanded due to trials using the Donnybrook rules, and the Wild West DMH rules encouraged me to buy a significant number of the superb 4Ground buildings. I enjoy putting these kits together, and I now possess a decent town!

The final project of 2016 was (is) a revival of WW2 gaming using Bolt Action 2 rules. I am currently working on my matched USMC and Japanese forces, so expect to see batches of such figures during the next few months.

So, that was 2016. Not a bad year with the brush, maybe a bit unfocussed, but fairly productive.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing "sad" about logging your painting productivity. You can't manage what you don't measure!

    ReplyDelete